It is not American Idol or The Voice. And it was down all season year-to-year. But the two-hour season-finale of The X Factor was enough for Fox to rule Thursday with 9.65 million viewers and a 3.1 rating/9 share among adults 18-49 from 8-10 p.m. (according to the fast affiliate results from Nielsen). But keep in mind that competing CBS was in all repeats last night (and The Big Bang Theory encore still topped the charts).
Elsewhere, 8 p.m. special White House Christmas: First Families Remember was well above average for NBC with 8.46 million viewers (#3) and a 1.6/ 5 in the demo (#3). But it was downhill for the Peacock network from 9-11 p.m. care of encore telecasts of The Office and Parks and Recreation and Rock Center With Brian Williams. ABC special CMA Country Christmas scored a respectable 7.28 million viewers and a 1.5/ 4 among adults 18-49 from 9-11 p.m. (out of an encore telecast of animated I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown). And The CW aired repeats of The Vampire Diaries and Beauty and the Beast.
THE X FACTOR Season 2 Results Finale gave FOX a victory last night among Adults 18-49, Total Viewers, Adults 18-34 and Teens. Last night marks FOX’s most-watched Thursday this season (9.6 Mil viewers), excluding the World Series.
· THE X FACTOR: 3.1/9, up +29% from last Thursday in Adults 18-49, +25% in Total Viewers (9.6 vs. 7.7 Mil), +29% in Adults 18-34 (2.7/9 vs. 2.1/7) and +82% in Teens (3.1/11 vs. 1.7/6).
o THE X FACTOR was the highest rated program of the night in Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and Teens.
o Last night’s finale was down -18% (vs. 3.8/11) from last season’s finale in the 18-49 demo, but was in line with last year’s finale in Adults 18-34 (2.7/9 vs. 2.8/10), and was up +3% in Teens (3.1/11 vs. 3.0/11) versus last season.
o THE X FACTOR finale posted the show’s highest Adults 18-49 ratings in over two months (since 10/10/12) and its highest Total Viewers in over two months (since 10/3/12).
Following an encore of the special I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown (1.4/4), ABC’s CMA Country Christmas 2012 posted a 1.5/4, down -29% from last year’s show (2.1/6 on 12/1/11).
CBS ran repeats of The Big Bang Theory (2.8/9), Two & Half Men (2.3/7), Person Of Interest (1.7/5), and Elementary (1.3/4).
NBC’s special A White House Christmas: First Families Remember posted a 1.6/5 at 8pm. Following repeats of The Office (1.0/3) and Parks & Recreation (0.8/2), Rock Center With Brian Williams at 10p (0.8/2) matched its lowest rating this season, down -11% from last week (0.9/2).
At 8 p.m. ET, > “> A White House Christmas: First Families Remember” (1.6/5 in 18-49, 8.5 million viewers overall) earned NBC’s highest 18-49 and total-viewer results in the time period since an NFL telecast on November 22. In a competitive slot versus Fox’s “X Factor” finale, CBS> ‘> s encore comedies and ABC’s “Charlie Brown” special, “A White House Christmas” improved on NBC’s time-period average from last season by 7 percent in 18-49 rating (to a 1.6 from a 1.5) and by 145 percent in total viewers (8.462 million vs. 3.451 million, L+SD non-sports). In total viewers, > “> A White House Christmas: First Families Remember” was competitive with Fox’s “X Factor” finale (8.462 million vs. 8.948 million for “X Factor” in that hour).
* From 9-9:31 p.m. ET, an encore telecast of > “> The Office> “> averaged a 1.0/3 in 18-49 and 3.1 million viewers overall. In total viewers, this is the top-scoring “Office” encore since October 20, 2011 (3.3 million).
* From 9:31-10:01 p.m. ET, a rebroadcast “Parks and Recreation” (0.8/2 in 18-49, 2.1 million viewers overall) tied for #2 in the time period among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in men 18-34.
* From 10:01-11 p.m. ET, > “> Rock Center with Brian Williams> “> (0.8/2 in 18-49, 3.5 million viewers overall) grew from its first half-hour to its second by 13 percent in adults 18-49 (to a 0.9 rating from a 0.8), by 20 percent in adults 25-54 (1.2 vs. 1.0) and by 17 percent in total viewers (3.8 million vs. 3.2 million), while the ABC and CBS competition declined half-hour to half-hour in all three categories.
* > “> Rock Center with Brian Williams> “> is currently up versus last week in total viewers by 2 percent (3.498 million vs. 3.418 million) and is matching last week’s rating in adults 25-54 (1.1).
At 8pm against the opening hour of Fox’s The X Factor season closer, ABC’s rebroadcast of I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown ranked #1 in its time period with Kids 2-11, beating the Fox finale by 26%. In fact, I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown stood as Thursday’s top-rated broadcast program with Kids 2-11.
· The PEANUTS special surged over its telecast on the same night last year 42% in Total Viewers, by 27% in Adults 18-49 and by 33% in Kids 2-11. In addition, the special posted ABC’s best Kids 2-11 rating in the hour in more than 1 year – since 12/15/11.
Starting out at 9pm opposite the second hour of Fox’s The X Factor finale, CMA Country Christmas made ABC the most-watched network in its second hour from 10-11pm and the #1 broadcaster in Adults 18-49.
· ABC’s CMA Country Christmas concert topped CBS’ Grammy Nominations Concert earlier in the month (on 12/5/12) by 1.9 million viewers.
TV Media Insights, the new one-stop shop for television and media, is now available on Facebook. Updated ratings, observations, breaking news, interactive polls, celebrity gossip, winners and losers, TV trivia...you will now find it all at TV Media Insights.
Marc Berman mines dozens of media resources, researches and gathers the information and metrics and delivers to our readers, the very information that you are hungry for. Enjoy your stay and come back tomorrow!
Find Us on Facebook
Latest Tweets From TVMI
Weekend box office results: New "Star Trek": flick dominates, but below forecasts, 10 hours ago