TV Media Insights – TV Ratings & News – Network TV Show Reviews and Daily Ratings

Later Kickoff Times and More Lenient Blackout Rules for the NFL - TV Media Insights - TV Ratings & News - Network TV Show Reviews and Daily Ratings

Later Kickoff Times and More Lenient Blackout Rules for the NFL

July 3, 2012 by Marc Berman in Highlights with 1 Comment


By Douglas Pucci

The National Football League (NFL) has recently implemented two new rule changes for the upcoming season to better accommodate the viewing experience for its weekly games.

Last week, it was announced the kickoff time for each late afternoon game as part of the day’s doubleheader either on FOX or CBS will switch from 4:15 p.m. to 4:25 p.m. Eastern. The newly-installed later time was designed to lessen the chances for viewers to miss the end of the 1 p.m. game telecast because their affiliate is required to switch to the start of their team’s game in the late afternoon. In addition, fans not in the markets of the late doubleheader opponents will now be more likely to not miss the beginning of the late doubleheader game.

Via research of NFL games from 2009 thru 2011, part of the viewing audience were switched off of 44 early-afternoon games, as a requirement to go to the start of the late-afternoon game in the doubleheader. If those late-afternoon games had started 10 minutes later at 4:25 p.m., only 15 of those same early-afternoon games would have been switched off – a significant reduction of 66 percent.

Then, on Monday, July 2nd, the league confirmed it will ease its television blackout rules. No longer will every home team be required to completely sell out their stadium in order for their market’s blackout to be lifted. Now, a team may opt to require just 85% of tickets sold to a home game. If a team were to choose this option, however, then they must transfer more revenue to the visiting team if the remaining 15 percent of tickets are sold.

NFL logo

Written by Marc Berman

Marc Berman

Marc Berman is the Editor in Chief for TV Media Insights, the online destination for television and media. Berman has appeared on camera for Extra, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, The CBS Evening News, CNN, and more; and his 2014 desk calendar, “Today in TV History,” is presently available.

  • Troy Turner

    This was inevitable, and makes sense-as it gives time for network post-game, plus it helps struggling teams keep a following

Follow TVMI
Get our FREE Newsletter

Who’s Online
There are no users currently online
Featured Jobs

TV Media Insights, the new one-stop shop for television and media, is now available on Facebook. Updated ratings, observations, breaking news, interactive polls, celebrity gossip, winners and losers, TV will now find it all at TV Media Insights.

Marc Berman mines dozens of media resources, researches and gathers the information and metrics and delivers to our readers, the very information that you are hungry for. Enjoy your stay and come back tomorrow!

Find Us on Facebook
Latest Tweets From TVMI
Marc Berman mines dozens of media resources to bring you TV Media Insights. The best in TV ratings, TV news and analysis, TV Gossip and TV Network Buzz.
  • Legendary former Jets QB Joe Namath, in an inebriated state during a Patriots-Jets game on ESPN, infamously twice...
  • An empire is born: The Osmond Brothers appeared on NBC variety hour "Andy Williams Show" for the first time on...
  • David Schwimmer Cast as Robert Kardashian in O.J. Simpson Miniseries - TV Media Insights - TV...